Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Monday 16 January 2023

Steps into the New Year 2023

Hi, I am back from Berlin, since ten days - but till now I was so heavily engaged to settle  down again (not easy for me - I always have to wait for my soul which follows me on feet) and chasing around for a "new" car (meaning: a used one - I never in my life bought a new car and definitely will not start now). 

Today is a very rainy day, and that's just fine with me: I have a Sunday all for myself. Ahhh! 

Christmas and my birthday and the start of the New Year in Berlin were wonderful. 

We bought a tiny Christmas tree, because we could enjoy it only for 10 days. 


Just before my birthday on 29th December it happened again (as so very often!): when I went to the famous and wonderful make-up artist, René Koch in Berlin, after a while he asked what my zodiac sign is. Astrology is not my cup of tea, but I looked at him and said "Guess." 
He has written 14 books - and one is about beauty and zodiac signs. He pondered - and then he said (as numerous people who are deep in the subject before him): 
"Gemini."
"Sorry", I said, "I am a Capricorn" - and knew exactly what would follow. 
"Then maybe your ascendent is Gemini." 
I was prepared. "Sorry, but my ascendent is Capricorn too." He was baffled, as so many before him, and said - "Maybe the position of the moon..." (Well, maybe, I do not know about that). 


We had a wonderful Happy New Year celebration in the Austernbank (Oyster bank - they serve meat too) near the Gendarmenmarkt. A delicious menu, and a DJ and a singer who made us all dance merrily. 
                                          As Geminis do...  


I think it is still time to wish all of you a good start into the new year 2023! 
Yours truly, 
Britta 



21 comments:

  1. Your soul follows you on foot :) Exactly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blog title, "steps into the Yew Year 2023", also refers to your foot.

      Delete
    2. Dear Helen, I love your comment!
      Yes, "I can stand on my own - one -- two -- feet" (a quote from a Charlie Brown comic) is something I am striving for.
      And I love to feel grounded. Contact with earth.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday dear Britta!! I adore your beautifully shaped tree, your gorgeous enamel zodiac and your delighted happy smile! A treat of oysters and a session with a make-up artist sound like excellent ways to celebrate the festivities in Berlin. I'm guessing it's the Dutchman who is making a cameo in your portrait? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pip! The tree had a nice plump figure - though it would fit better into the Bavarian apartment - in Berlin the rooms are almost 4m high - but we found it charming.
      And yes: I try to do something new for every next (birthday) year: once had visited the lipstick-museum that René Koch has founded (he also invented a lot of make-up for Yves St. Laurent - and now he gave me a lipstick which has a quite daring note. Dark red. "You have to be self-assured to wear it - but I think you are."
      And people like it! Me too.
      And yes, your guess about the Flying Dutchman is right - this time he might have preferred real flying because he had to endure 14 (!!) hours by car instead of the normally 7 hours it takes from Amsterdam to Berlin - one part of the Autobahn was under full closure because of an accident. He arrived at two o'clock in the morning - first time ever that I went in a pair of pyjamas (covered by a warm coat) into the street to help him find a parking place :-)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday in arrears, and Happy 2023. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year and a belated Happy Birthay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A belated Happy Birthday and a Happy New Year to you, dear Britta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy B-day Britta. Your Christmas in Berlin must have brought you much joy and good times. Wishing you all the best for 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Susan! In Berlin we spent a wonderful time - now I "recover" in nature, even a bit of snow now.

      Delete
  7. Dear Britta - what a delightful photo of you out celebrating the New Year - you grow younger with each year. I have to add "snap" as my first born son was also born on the 29th December too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary, thank you so much! Of course I like your kind compliment! And to have the same date of birth (well, day and month :-) as your son gives me the feeling of a special connection - is he the poet?

      Delete
  8. Yes, how did you guess - is it anything to do with him being a Capricorn too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary, I would like to adorn myself with borrowed plumes and thus appear a bit clairvoyant - but it was simpler: I read one or two beautiful poems of one of your sons and asked myself if they were from the Capricorn. From Aesop to Khalil Gibran, J.D. Salinger, A.A.Milne and Carl Sandburg - there are so many, and almost all of them have the good mixture of heart AND brain, emotional insight and knowledge.

      Delete
  9. Thank you, Louise!
    I found your comment when I tried to clear out the spam-box (where they pour hundreds in every two days...)
    The new airport in Berlin is good for some - but not for us who live in the Western-part of Berlin - now the trip to the airport is very long.
    I think a huge city as Berlin could very well use two airports (but there were many builders-interests in the decision - against the popular referendum! They ignored it).
    They put the Christmas market from Gendarmenmarkt this year to the place beside the opera.
    And yes: I found a "new" car - and am happy. Britta

    ReplyDelete