Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Sunday 29 March 2020

A Study in Pink



Here you see the result of my planning.
My sewing machine stands up very, very high on a sort of intermediate floor (they used that around 1900 as sleeping places for domestic servants - the rooms are very high and these floors are built into the second hall) so I thought it more possible that I break my leg while trying to fetch it than getting corona (I better knock on wood!)
So I sewed one with my needle - but then I went to my Russian tailoress. She opened the forbidden door in a secretive way - we had telephoned first - it much reminded me of tales my parents told about the black market. I gave her a moon-yellow blanket and ordered 14 masks - 7 for me, seven for someone else.
Next day I was in for a little surprise : look at the photo - that was her extra gift for me - I am so thankful - and isn't it cute?

PS: When I sent the photo via WhatsApp to a friend, she asked surprised: "What - you still make up your eyes - even if nobody else will see them?" 
As a woman who managed to paint her eyes even in the teeny-weeny bathroom of a narrowboat I answered: "But I am not a Nobody - I see it!"



4 comments:

  1. That is a very splendid mask Britta, how thoughtful of your Russian seamstress, and such a lovely shade of pink, not pink at all but more cerise. And for me too each day alone, make up on, of course. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rachel, yes, she has a good eye for colour (and follows my whimses in her own headstrong way - when I ordered a new lining for a dark long coat and asked her to do it all in silky scarlet, she looked at me, smiled, said: "You have a Russian soul, love, we also like it hot - but let me do it my way!"
      And then she made it elegant AND stunning - not always easy: she took a dark satin lining, but where it meets the coat she applied a scarlet edging/piping/braid (I am lost for words - which seldom happens -must be the result of isolation in lockdown :-)
      It looks stunning when the coat flaps around my ankles!

      Delete
  2. Look at you, it's even pink. You will do well, out on your walks six feet away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, thank you. Yes, I decided to walk at least some time early in the morning - the part of Berlin where I live is very calm, so I think I might risk it.
      With (hopefully) protective mask.

      Delete