Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Saturday 28 March 2020

Respiratory protection masks



September 1st, 1939. - Enquire of Robert whether he does not think that, in view of times in which we live, diary of daily events might be of ultimate historical value to posterity. He replies that It Depends.
Explain that I do not mean events of national importance, which may safely be left to the Press, but only chronicle of ordinary English citizen's reaction to war which now appears inevitable.
Robert's only reply - if reply it can be called - is to enquire whether I am really quite certain that Cook takes a medium size in gas-masks. Personally, he should have thought a large, if not out-size, was indicated. Am forced to realise that Cook's gas-mask is intrinsically of greater importance than problematical contribution to literature by myself, but am all the same slightly aggrieved. Better nature fortunately prevails, and I suggest that Cook had better be asked to clear up the point once and for all. (...)
She does come, and Robert selects frightful-looking appliances, each with a snout projecting below a little talc window, from pile which has stood in corner of the study some days.
Cook shows a slight inclination towards coyness when Robert adjusts one on her head with stout crosspiece, and replies from within, when questioned, that It'll do nicely, sir, thank you.
(Voice sounds very hollow and sepulchral).


This, dear blogger friends, is the beginning of E. M. Delafield's "The Diarty of a Provincial Lady".
Part Four: The Provincial Lady in Wartime. I love all four books immensely, have read them oh so often - and still have to laugh.

I could now begin to rant about the slight contradiction that our government says that they "have everything under control" and the fact that from January till now they are not able to provide a little piece of paper with two elastic bands at the side - not even for people who risk their lives in hospitals - the admirable nurses and doctors.
But I am my father's child: he survived 24 days in a lifeboat on the sea - without nourishment and water only from the nightly sky.
Thus I think for myself - and I act (as good as I can) : you might guess what the photo above shows.

I wish all of you: Stay healthy, take care!
Britta XXX



8 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, we shall all resort to fashioning our own, if only to keep our germs to ourself. And your father's story? I'm so intrigued! Is this during the war or some amazing misadventure as a sailor? ... I'm loving the old and witty books so much more than the modern/post-modern offerings. You've found such an amusing extract.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pipistrello, thank you! My father was shipwrecked in Wartime - I might write about it these days, when I feel that my morale needs a boost (and the "e" at the end of "morale" is not a typo :-)
      I am with you on reading old and witty books - like dear old friends I visit them from time to time, just to feel good.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I think sometimes we have to take initiative to look after ourselves and not to forever stand and complain that nobody is doing it. We can do it and do it we will. I agree with Pip above, that the literature of old is often so much more interesting in a descriptive and fun way than today's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heartily agree, dear Rachel, and think that this is one reason why we like each other so very much: we are tough, both of us - not much complaining (only a little bit, sometimes, because we are humans :-) , but then we roll up our sleeves and get to work.
      At the moment I am glad that my books mostly are printed ones - of course I have e-books, but I love the feeling of turning a "real" page.

      Delete
  3. I think that the story of your government is similar to most European countries.
    Taiwan on the other hand clamped down immediately when the Wuhan crisis was first reported. Taiwan currently have 283 cases 241 of which have been classified as imported. Taiwan learnt their lesson the hard way following the 'sars' outbreak in 2003. Their first case was nine days before Italy, and as of today they have had only two deaths.
    I would be really intrigued to learn more about your father. However, saying that he survived for so long without water or nourishment has given me a belief that we will perhaps manage better than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, dear Rosemary - we all sit in the same boat, and I said a bit reproachfully to myself that it is easy to judge politicians and very hard to come up with better ideas :-) Hopefully, to quote from the Provincial Lady's text above, "Better nature fortunately prevails..." :-)
      And it is even harder to realize the good ideas that come up.
      I read a very interesting article why Asian countries managed to act so quick - that newspaper article might have potential to be put into the nutshell of another post (though my nutshells are always as big as coconuts, I am no good at making it short...)
      Yes, I might tell about my father - they collected water in their boat, water from the sky, dew?, that fell down at night into a cover or blanket. You can imagine that it was not much water.
      I am convinced that we will manage better than we thought - often there is a strength in us that comes out when it is really needed.

      Delete
  4. Good for you. I have a lovely homemade one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I thought of you, Joanne: you are so able to use pins and needles that I wish you show us the lovely result!

      Delete