Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Tuesday 4 June 2024

Back to the Sixties in a minute

 


Do you remember the eye-make-up we did in the sixties? I still paint my eyes quite heavily - but I do not use baby-blue powder on the whole eyelid anymore, which will give you an instant sixty-feeling. 
And I do not paint the "Twiggy"-eyelashes (in the corners of the outer edge of the lower eyelid (though I liked it). 
But every day I paint - and love it, whether I am alone or going out. It is like a meditation, looks great, and gives me - together with my daring YSL-lipstick - a feeling of protection. 
"My eyes in shining armour" - to malappropriate a song title from the 
Rolling Stones. 





7 comments:

  1. I must have missed out. I never did blue eye makeup or Twiggy eye lashes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our best-ever period, whenever it was, clarifies what our tastes will be for the decades to come. My best era was 1966-72, so the makeup, clothing, hats, shoes, music, politics and literature that I loved back then to some extent determine my taste now.
    Needless to say that blue eye shadow looks perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is as you say, dear Helen: we love the ways we were happy with. And I change my taste only in moderation - I do what I like - eyeliner for example, it came and went and came - I wear it because it becomes me and I ignore what magazines write.

      Delete
  3. Of course I remember baby blue eye shadow. The more the better! I purposely stopped wearing make-up about 20 years ago. It just seems like more effort than I want to exert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Emma, yes, it saves time - but I love that time I spend when "painting". It is a ritual and a quiet time, I enjoy that. As you might know, I draw a lot too - also a form of concentration&relaxation together.

      Delete
  4. I don't leave the house without the black line at the bottom of the eye and yes, I still do the same blue eyeshadow on the lid, but very weak and it is erased very quickly, I need that feeling that I did something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Yael, yes, I share that feeling of "doing something ". I still can sit without make-up at the breakfast table - nobody gets a fit or doesn't recognise me - but I prefer a bit of creative painting.
      Though I always admire those women who have dark eyes - they do not necessarily need make-up. I have quite huge blue eyes (in my passport stands: "Green", and they can be green, but then it is better to flee :-) - and those northern eyes can use a little bit of help.

      Delete