Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Sunday 31 March 2024

"I've got it, yeah, baby, I've got it!"

 


Well, well, well... For days I was in a position that Yours Truly utterly hates: I was "Anonymous" - even on my own blog! 

"You only see those standing in the light/ Those standing in the dark you do not see"wrote our sociocritical poet Bertolt Brecht. 

Have you ever got the impression that I hate standing in the spotlight? Not me. Even while getting older I do not accept to be overlooked. NO

The photo above I took a few days ago - here in the early morning you sometimes see only a wall of fog, and a few tree tops. 

INVISIBLE. Bah! I even asked for help in the community, and they kindly answered - Thank you! - in English - THAT was not the problem, no - my problem was their technical jargon - and honestly: if someone does not know what they EXACTLY mean with a browser you have a problem. Which I had.(Though I know how to help myself and scrolled the Internet, which kindly did not start it's answer with "Dear Idiot"... :-) 

Of course I suspected that "cookies" had something to do with it - I avoid them as the devil avoids the the holy water as we in Germany say while you say: "to avoid something like the plague". 

Well - if you see how many users want your and my cookies... 

Long time ago Son explained: "Mama, you either pay with money or with data". 

But here I do not even have a choice. If I want to be seen. 

So: to be able to communicate with you further, also with  Rachel and others who will have very good reasons to close their blog completely against any anonymous commentator I scatter my cookies all around. 

Here, cookie monster: chick, chick, chick: munch, crumble, gobble! 


19 comments:

  1. Martin Amiss said, "I avoid clichés like the plague".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And which one(s) do you see?

      Delete
    2. Oh, now I see. I never read Martin Amis (from his father a bit), but I remember A.S.Byatt, who condemned his attitude as „male turkey-cocking“ (not a cliché, I think :-)

      Delete
  2. How I understand you Britta. There will be a solution and you will find it. Have a good month starting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Katarina, thank you! Now my picture is back, and I am content that I found a way "to return".

      Delete
  3. I got weary of telling Bloggers about cookies, especially third party ones, and gave up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Now I am curious. Many people had cookie problems.

      Delete
    3. More confused by the day. I will stop following now.

      Delete
  4. I hope distributing cookies will get you back in action. It's a bad feeling, being invisible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you, Boud - I have them distributed and now I "shine" :-)
      In Germany in Olden Times I was one of the first who had to interview the head of all official data protection officers - the Federal Government was still in Bonn, not Berlin - and they made a little film of that for instructing many colleagues. I was not disturbed by the use of data then - but nowadays my uneasiness grows and grows (even if I think that they will not find much of importance, but I do not like it. In a blog I choose what I want to tell - and show - but with cookies I can see who wants them, but don't know exactly what they do with it).

      Delete
  5. I do not ignore well. By that I mean I must be noticed. A phrase that makes me see red is: But you have to understand. No I don't have to understand! If I understood would I be asking?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, dear Emma, I love that!
    It is true - and I am glad that I found a way to cope. (Though I think that Google & Co are greedy data-munchers).

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, if I understand, if you've got it then it can be cured by eating cookies. I think I had it last week, but a box of Cherry Bakewells helped enormously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm - yummy! I looked the cherry bakewell tartlets up and they look delicious - I think they will help me too - and if I am again at the end of the tether I will also brew me a good strong cuppa "brick" tea. That always helps!

      Delete
  8. The photo is a bit scary. Even careful driving could be quite dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Driving through fog is scary, dear Helen - when I see this I am always so happy that I don't have to drive to work o more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had that ' anonymous ' problem on a couple of blogs but it righted itself. I have two problems on my iPhone ..... it won't let me comment on blogs or send emails ..... I have to do it on my laptop. I've tried everything to right it but nothing seems to work ! Apple can't fix it either ! So much for modern technology. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jackie, Apple is very strict in many ways - my MacBook doesn't accept any photo that I took on my Huawei cellphone. "Taresome", as Georgie would say to Lucia.
      But I am glad about your comment - and as I am back in Bavaria now I will look up other blogs again, and comment.
      My best wishes to you! XXXXX

      Delete