Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Wednesday 13 September 2023

Disrupted Days.

 


Dear You

this is no complaint. It's just real life - and revision of some expectations that did not consider all possibilities. 

The triplets had their fourth birthday - and two days later kindergarten started. 

The beautiful kindergarten is in the next little town, and my son brings them there, and my DiL brings them back after they have eaten their lunch. 

That was the plan. 

But every child, even when they are triplets, is different. 

The "twins" have more difficulties in adjusting and letting Mama go - the third, single, is the star and jumped into her group (each triplet joins another group, which I think is a very wise decision of their parents). 

But soon all adjusted well. 

But then the first got a cold, with fever - so she had to stay at home. 

The second had to be collected after one&half hour in kindergarten = familiarisation time for her, decided the Kindergärtnerin. 

So I looked after the lively but sick one, DiL went by car to fetch Number 2, then, 2 hours later, she had to fetch no.3. (I have a car but do not drive the children - I think the responsibility is too great). 

Two days later, no.1 was healthy again - and of course you guess what happened? Now no.2 was sick. 

So: DiL and I are looking forward for a "normal" day. 

Yours Truly , (a bit flustered)  

12 comments:

  1. Illness sometimes races through a family of children. I have sympathy for all of you. It is exhausting taking care of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes, Emma: sometimes we are tired. But then again: joy.

      Delete
  2. Young parents are so happy when children finally reach school age, and then comes everything they catch at school. At least measles and mumps are conquered by vaccines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are glad about vaccines and good medical care in our region. And we hope that the two years in Kindergarten will prepare them during a time when they do not miss too much learning. The immune system gets a training :-)

      Delete
  3. I found looking after my two sons hard work, even though they were two years apart. But looking after three children must be even harder, especially when they have different needs and preferences. Thank goodness the triplets' parents have you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that completely, Helen, two boys are much work too - our son was an only child, so when he slept, he slept, and everything was more well-structured.
      Thank you for your compliment, and I can say: thank goodness I have my grandchildren!

      Delete
  4. I can't believe that the triplets are four years old already - how time flies when you are having fun.
    Having three lovely little girls must be a real joy but as you all know lots of work too, and now that they are are in the big wide world even more added complications to cope with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share your astonishment how quick times flies by, dear Rosemary. Especially when I see photos of a few months ago I see the huge leaps they make (and would oh so much love it to add a few photos here.)
      Every grandma see her grandchildren as beautiful - and these ones are no exception. Most of all I love their joy of living and the deep interest in life.
      I am so happy that till now they haven't watched TV - they know many many books, and songs, and visit castles (we have so many here near) and nature and farm animals and the zoo - and groups were they play football or dance - and now the door to the world around them is opened a bit more, and their experiences vary and blossom.

      Delete
    2. I would love to see your triplets Britta, but like you, I too do not show my grandchildren. Needless to say our five grandchildren fill us with pride and joy. All of them have chosen interesting careers which we now delight in following and learning about.

      Delete
    3. Dear Rosemary, I agree fully.
      Wow, you have five grandchildren - and you have the joy to be part of their growing up, which I think is such a present of life for us. It enables us to see young life continuing and to be near to that process - and thus we are allowed to be part of the future.

      Delete
  5. Goodness! 4 already! Such complicated logistics with the new kindergarten experience. Hopefully things will smooth out in time, although schoolyard colds and illnesses will be rather a wildcard for your family with its multiplier effect. But how exciting for them to have started stepping out into the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, they grow up rapidly. And give me the chance to demonstrate how health-providing the very, very unhealthily-uploaded - yuck! - air in Berlin's underground is: till now (toi, toi, toi) I was the only one here in the Bavarian family who didn't catch anything - though the little ones sit on my lap. Knock on wood!

    ReplyDelete