Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Friday 9 June 2023

A very strange fashion...

 


Dear You, 

I know, I know... it is fashion now, and deep in my heart I should be thankful that it is so ... instead of grieving Highheels (oh my poor back!) - where you needed a man at your side to grab his arm if you walked on the slippery  Jungfernstieg in Hamburg where they had the extraordinary idea to put marble slates as pavement - in a city which has as often rain as London...

Yet I look disapprovingly into the mirror. My skirt is still wonderful and fitting (I bought it 17 years ago in Hamburg, though didn't wear it very often - most time I am a Jeans-type, so practical, especially now with grandchild-triplets).

Normally I never tell if a garment is new or old - I take a compliment and smile. 

But those awful looking comfortable plump shoes... 

I hunted through Berlin for something cozy AND a bit more graceful. Well - at least a tiny weeny bit. 

I found a less ugly version - French, of course. Sort of tennis-court shoes, small, no high plateau sole (the photo is not correct here).  



Happy and comfortable, 

Yours Truly 

PS: Do you remember about ten years ago, when I had those wonderful light white leather ballerinas? By Jeremy Scott for Adidas - they have little white wings at the heel - I floated through Berlin. 


11 comments:

  1. I always wear socks!
    PS: thought of you when I posted on 1st June - a game to play with the triplets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Tasker - I always wear tights, or, if the weather is very hot, tiniest socks. But it is the proportion between a nice skirt and clumsy shoes I do not like very much.
      Your post I will look up now (I was in Berlin at that time).

      Delete
  2. If those are your legs in the picture You are so fortunate. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Emma, thank you for the compliment - yes, these are my legs, ten days ago :-) I am tall (1,78 m) and slim, which led to some "jobs" as model for leather and fur fashion - now as silver model - till Corona. Maybe again.

      Delete
  3. It's a look I was determined never to embrace, and yet ... here we are, I'm also in possession of sneakers that are paired with dresses and skirts. It pains my soul to wear them but, predictably, not my feet. You are so right about the proportions! It was quite a chore to find the least ugly and chunky and I ultimately opted for colour (red one pair and (accidentally) silver another - I expected grey but buying online during the lockdown came with its attendant challenges, haha!), but I do like your new white choice. Well found, dear Britta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pipistrello - my father, who was a humorous man, always said: "Nothing can blemish a beautiful man" - and (with some qualms, but thinking I have a right for slight comfort too now) I wear them, French style.
      And tell myself that wearing higher heels with a plaintive face wouldn't be good either.
      And I comfort myself: it looks definitely young and hip, haha.

      Red and silver are wonderful!!! I mean: if attracting attention then with aplomb, please!

      Delete
  4. I have been forced to wear American Sketchers. My high heel days are over...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked American Sketchers up on Google and think they are quite ok - and you have the luck to wear trousers, there I don't have a problem to wear sneakers, that looks fine.
      I remember you (always) as a man with very, very good (and expansive) British shoes, though I forgot their name.

      Delete
    2. As to high heels: I know a few guys who wear them (not everywhere) - and men have most often larger feet..

      Delete
  5. High heels are history here too - except on the very few evening 'do's' in cooler months when I can just about walk in them to enter a restaurant or theatre, and then sit down for a while, haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary, same with me - and not quite as high as in olden days...
      Funny: the triplets in their flat sandals sometimes say: "I can't walk that fast at the moment - I wear my high heels!", hahaha.(they are astonishingly long-walkers, by the way).

      Delete