Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Thursday 13 April 2023

And this was the greatest surprise in "Flowers Forever": "Calyx" by Rebecca Louise Law

 


Do you remember the feeling when, as a child, you slipped into a pergola, an arbour, feeling hidden, protected, invisible and surrounded by many interesting smells? 


I saw so many happy faces in the huge room which felt just like that: a pergola made of thousands of dried flowers which hung from the ceiling, the special smell of dried roses lingered above all, a smell that said "gone",  "romantic" and "lost". 







Here the text of the Kunsthalle Munich: 
       Calyx 

The British artist Rebecca Louise Law (...) made this installation of dried flowers. Together with many volunteers she dried and wired together far more than 100.000 flowers which would otherwise have been thrown away.  ...

Two aspects are the center of Rebecca Louise Law's artistic work: the conscious and sustainable use of natural resources and engaging people from a wide variety of backgrounds to create something together. 






 

8 comments:

  1. I have a great big WOW for the artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Emma, me too! And to all her helpers (she sought them via advertise in a newspaper). It must have been a bear of a job - and she named everyone of them on a little board.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I was looking how to describe my impression, Joanne - and now am glad that I choose the right one!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful exhibition, dear Britta! There's nothing like the surprise that comes from just popping into something you know nothing about. The Lebanese secret service flowers were an extraordinary concept, and this installation, Calyx, is utterly enchanting. The triplets would have thought it sheer magic. Years ago we bought a single tendril of dried native flowers similar to these at an exhibition for final year art students and it hangs on a wall. It doesn't have the same romantic faded aroma but it has held up remarkably well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pip, the exhibition was - for me who thrives on flowers - a wonderful present. In the header of the first post about it I wrote "...almost literally swept me from my feet" - that meant: I walked more then two hours through it - and walk-stop-walk-stop wasn't very good for my back (though I wore trainers) - that (and a lot of stress at the moment) gave me a heavy backache - and I was lucky that a Bavarian orthopaedist gave me next day an injection into my back - normally, as an unknown patient (I have most doctors in Berlin) you have to wait for weeks...
      It helped instantly.
      That was sheer magic too :-)
      Your wall decorated with dry flowers I would like to see!

      Delete
    2. I'm so pleased you got relief for your sore back in a timely manner, but sorry to hear you had this problem at all. I read from a comment of yours elsewhere that you've had a terrible and frightening time with your son, and I hope these days are behind you? Stay well, dear friend!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, dear Pip! My back is well now and I start the gym on Thursday (I asked for a new training - wanting to go step by step(!) softly (!) up to the old standard).
      Yes, soul and body are knitted tightly together and "back trouble" is my weak point that forces me to admit that I might have a problem. Or two. I am happy that the long influenza of my son was over before I went to Bremen, (I caught it for only a few days) - so I am very happy at the "home front".
      A few other things are not working as I wish, but the year is still young - I pamper myself to be able to reach my professional and personal aims, and thus have thought up more than one plan B. Though patience is not my first virtue, stamina is.

      Delete