Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Saturday 12 November 2022

Mr. Moonlight

 


I have the feeling that at the moment my moods go up and down a bit - as a cabin in this Ferris wheel. May depend on still interrupted sleep, or the flu vaccination a few days ago, or the change of the season (and return to standard time) - I don't know. 

The standard time feels more "normal" to me. I muse about the efficiency  of the EU: as far as I see everybody of that parliament is convinced that it would be good to stop the nonsense of shifting time in summer and winter - they talk about that often, but do they DO anything about it? At least not this year, or the last year or the years before that. Grrr. 

Maybe I should move to Tilling or Riseholm - where Queen Lucia and Miss Mapp and all the others Tillingites/Riseholites simply ignore the change (to take a train to London - but who wants that? - forces them for a very short time.  "How tarsome", George would say.) All my Lucia-books are in Berlin - I hope I wrote the quote right.

Oh, I adore E.F.Benson!!!  

We still have beautiful sunny weather - though it gets a little underlying chilly note. 

This evening the whole village does a lantern procession - the triplets are looking out for that. For me it is a very fine childhood memory - I still see my huge lantern with the face of Mr. Moon in front of me. 




    

11 comments:

  1. The lantern procession sounds wonderful. I wish I could see it. As for the time change I never understood why people who needed to did not simply get up an hour earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lantern procession really was enjoyable, dear Emma: so many excited children in the centre of the village!
      If I get up an hour earlier when time changes, Emma, then sometimes I would be up at four o'clock or even earlier - no problem then - but a problem in the afternoon, becoming very tired then.

      Delete
  2. Another Benson lover!! Yes the quotation is good enough. And they call Tilling time God's time, too funny. I think I have all the Benson books in print and on my Kindle, no danger of running out. I love all the Riseholm ( pronounced Rizzum) and Tilllng(pronounced Tilling) characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So we have already two writers we both admire, dear Boud!

      I became a little bit nostalgic and melancholy when I thought about my connection with E.F.Benson - I am a member of the E.F.Benson Society, visited Rye (and wrote a post about that and a little article about "Fred" in their journal - all that "in another life").
      I am happy now too - yet when I thought about that life I got an insight about those mood changes that sometimes (not often) happen.

      Delete
  3. I believe I'm almost recovered from returning to "standard time". Shame, in three months it's back to DSL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the annoying thing, Joanne - as "soon" (hahaha) we get used to it our inner clock has to change again.
      I can accept (and have to) that change is part of life - but this one is man-made, arbitrary and unnecessary.

      Delete
  4. St Martin, the patron saint of St Martins-in-the-Fields just off Trafalgar Square in London, the church which helps so many living in London who are down and out. The Roman soldier who cut his cloak in two and shared with the beggar. This epitomises the work of St Martins. The lanterns in your photograph are lovely and by clicking and enlarging the photo I was able to see it all very clearly. Thank you Britta for sharing the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rachel, I honestly answered twice here on your comment - and it evidently vanished into the orbit of Google, I am really annoyed, and hope you are not!
      You made me so happy with your remark on St.Martin-in-the-Fields, because I thus had a chance to recall my memories of eating in their excellent canteen with that interesting atmosphere (and one time my friend Anne was with me).
      And of course I have some CDs of St.Martin-in-fields Academy - Sir Neville Mariner.
      I am glad you could decipher a bit from the dark photograph!

      Delete
  5. I haven't been on an old-fashioned Ferris Wheel like that in, well, forever! Apologies for being so quiet on the airwaves with your lovely bloggish outputtings, we have been away and oftentimes without internet, but are back now. (I should have left a note on the door of my own blog: "Gon out. Backson. Bisy. Backson. P." but forgot.) I will have plenty o' time to catch up on things now we've come back with a tarsome hitchhiker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pip, it is a very long time that I have been on a Ferris Wheel!
      I think it is very wise to give NO notice before leaving for vacancies - I never do, because one never knows who uses that time of absence to "look after" your belongings - making you literally follow the new philosophy of "less is more" :-)
      So: if I am on a trip as Busy Backsoon, before that moment I might act a bit fearful as Piglet...

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete