Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Wednesday 7 October 2020

I took my courage into both hands...

 


Dear You,

"I conquered my weaker self" - (the Germans are are bit more drastic - "I conquered my inner Schweinehund - "swine & dog")

My weaker self did not want to bicycle! You know, I did it (under protest and very wobbly) in the Netherlands. And decided: After so many years of abstinence - why now? Now there is a real risk - especially in Berlin. 

Then I went into my cellar. There it stood: my "new" (because I never used it) Kettler-bike. The proverbial quality of German workmanship. Almost as old as my son, who now became 37. 

The owner of a typical Berlin-Bike-Shop said: 

"Wonderful! Wow! I have fans who would buy it instantly!" 

He is a good guy. He could have talked me easily around buying a new one - I would have believed him. Or at least he could have sold me new tyres. But no: he just checked the bike through. "Everything utterly ok!

No wonder that the company Kettler, the manufacturer of this bike, went bankrupt - which reminds me of the movie "The Man in the White Suit" with Alec Guiness. 

But I was so pleased! Bought a bicycle basket and two bike locks from him. You need them in Berlin as I cannot carry the bike over the very steep basement stairs - THAT would be REALLY DANGEROUS! So it stands in the Hinterhof, the backyard. 

And I use it - hurray! (TBC)





18 comments:

  1. A thing of beauty! And a great colour. We may need a picture of the basket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pipistrello: I love that colour too! (it started to gleam after I took a rag and cleaned it :-)
      The picture of the basket will follow - here I was so happy that I asked the guy from the bike-shop to take a picture of me. And then I had the idea to buy a basket.

      Delete
  2. The bicycle will be useful around the wide streets of Berlin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Rachel! I walk a lot, but since Corona I haven't used the subway or busses (except three times where I really wanted to go somewhere, or had to) With I bike I can reach much more nature.

      Delete
  3. A bike is good exercise. It will carry a few things if you shop. It is convenient rather than driving a car. And you look good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma! I miss my car which I sold some years ago, the red little Fiat 500 which I called "Knut".
      At that time I thought: I have so many, many different subway-lines, so many busses, I do not need a car - and finding a parking place in Berlin is not easy...

      Delete
  4. It looks very good for 37 years old, but so do you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. All 37 of Tom's years! I wish I could, and unlike you, I can't balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne, I was really glad this slightly gloomy morning to read your comment!
      Balance was at first a problem...I felt ashamed! And then I was very stern with myself and ordered my weaker self to try and not give up - allowing it to practice in a place where not many people could watch me (as if that matters! That is a lesson I still try to learn... :-)

      Delete
  6. Dear Britta - a bike is the perfect vehicle to have currently - it gives you fresh air, exercise, and freedom. I used to ride a bike, but have not done so for many years, so well done for giving it a go, and overcoming your fears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary - you can imagine my fear! I feared to fall and break some bones (never good, but awful in Corona-time) and during my first ride I heard a voice inside me quoting a German proverb: "If the donkey feels too well, he dances on ice" . Well - after a long time thinking I tried it a second time :-)

      Delete
  7. The bicycle is a good mode of transportation. Health benefits of biking is an added plus. Lucky you held on to your bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan, I was so pleased to find the bicycle in such a good state! (For a long time I had even forgotten that it was in the cellar - we moved so often). I was a bit astounded that I use more calories when I walk my 10.000 steps - but then: I don't care!

      Delete
  8. Hi Britta. You are a very sportive girl. My bike is 42 years old. I am a bit older.
    Can't go to Germany either at the moment, we got a voucher for the Ahrtal now. Off to Stockholm instead tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Guusje, of course it was "het Nederlandse druk" that finally made me go... First in Noordwijk, then Zoutelande - than: "No, I -never! " - then clandestine practise in Berlin (mumbling: "If others can - so can I!")
      I'm sorry that you cannot go to Germany at the moment - we have the same problem, the Flying Dutchman and I - and the regulations are so confusing - now we have different regulations even in different parts of Berlin!!
      The Ahrtal in autumn must be beautiful - so you will go next year (you don't have to accept a voucher but can get your money back if you are forbidden to go into a "red area" - but maybe the Netherlands have different laws? )
      And: Stockholm is very beautiful too: enjoy it!

      Delete
  9. When I lived in London in the latter half of the 60's, I used to cycle a lot. I suppose it was slightly risky, but it's the most wonderful way of seeing a city. Enjoy your rides!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cro! I would not dare to bicycle in London - well, not in those parts that are like many streets in Berlin - really dangerous. No, I am very cautious, descend when necessary (or better: when I think it necessary), and sometimes wheel my bike over over a junction.
      But I agree: it is so enjoyable - and that the air in a park smells better, more intense when I whiz through it :-)

      Delete