Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Saturday 23 December 2017

I Believe in What I See

©Brigitta Huegel


I always knew: HE REALLY EXISTS! 

Admitted: he works under a few aliases - in the Netherlands he calls himself SINTERKLAAS, and as a man with a full agenda he visits the children earlier than in Germany or Great Britain.
Netherlanders will not tire to tell you about their historical influence in America - think of Niuew Amsterdam (later changed to New York) - and so you will easily see the metamorphosis from Sinterklaas to SANTA CLAUS.

In the Netherlands he arrives at December 5th, and he comes in a steamship from Spain - in pakjesboat 12.
His companion is de ZWARTE PIET (the Black Peter) - and in our hyper-politically-correct time poor Piet (being black and stereotyped) has a lot of hostilities to endure. He tries to convince his adversaries that he is only black because he comes through the chimney, and only all that soot, this fine particulaired matter, is blackening his face, but a lot of grown-ups shout: "Don't pull that black wool over our eyes!" The Mayor of Dordrecht, where Sinterklaas' boat landed this year, manly forbade a demonstration against Piet.
(Nothing new under the sun: in Delft (Netherlands) in 16th century all Sinterklaas-festivities were prohibited. But then, in 19th century, the man in the red cloak with those cute silky white long curls was everywhere accepted, and utterly loved by the children).

My childlike soul still believes in decency, trustworthiness and uprightness.
And in love.

And so it is no surprise that I saw HIM:
Sinterklaas walked through the heavy snow that fell on the Netherlands (as in England).
Walked towards the North Sea to his ship.
And: He was alone.
I could not see de Zwarte Piet.

But then, admidst the heavy snowflakes, a second person materialized - and I understood: SINTERKLAAS, the saintly and sly old fox was so much smarter than his adversaries!!!

Look -- yes! -- trust your eyes: his new political absolutely correct companion is ---

                                                               A WOMAN! 

©Brigitta Hügel

(Ok, Ok - I see that he is also a faithful man: there is a black person in front of him - and yes: it might be de Zwarte Piet...) 

Dear Bloggers, whereever you are in the world: 

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! 

Yours, Britta                     PS: Believe me - wonders do happen! 













19 comments:

  1. Thank you Britta. I wish you and your family a very Happy Christmas too!
    Buon Natale!
    Greetings Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maria, thank you! I wish you and your family a very Buon Natale too! Britta XXX

      Delete
  2. Thank you, too, from me Britta. Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year as we say here. Rachelxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rachel, I wish you a Happy Christmas an a Prosperous New Year (the "prosperous" sounds very enticing!) Britta XXX

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Yael - I wish you all the best, and a Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. It helps to answer those skeptics who argue that Santa could not possibly deliver to the whole world in one night doesn't it. He has been at it much longer than we have. Wondrous pictures. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma! Yes, he s a busy man!
      I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Britta XXX

      Delete
  5. Of course he exsists Britta ... I still believe and he always delivers to our house so there is no doubt !
    Wonderful images of him, just proving he exists.
    Merry, merry Christmas to you and your family Britta. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie! He will always enjoy to visit your lovely house and garden - sitting there will give him a restful moment.
      I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas! XXX

      Delete
  6. A lovely and happily haunting pair of photos --a fine gift to your readers and to me. I wish you joy in this and all seasons. Thank you for this uplifting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Geo., thank you so much for your lovely comment! I returned from my vacancies now - sorry I could answer it so late! I wish you and your family all the best for 2018!

      Delete
  7. Yes, wonders do happen all the time. :)

    I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, dear Britta, and I wish you and your family all the best in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Susan! As I wrote to Geo.: I just came back from holidays, so I answer late - but it is still the right time to wish you and your family a Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year Britta, all the best for 2018. Best wishes.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maria - and I wish all the best for you and your family too! Greetings Britta XXX

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year, Britta! This was a lovely post - I'm sorry I came to it so late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shawn - I am back in Germany now, and wish you a Happy New Year too!

      Delete
  10. He is gorgeous. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete