Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Thursday 24 August 2017

Customer-friendly? I wouldn't bet on it!

©Brigitta Huegel
Dear You,
yes - of course I have a more precise photo for this blog-post, but the proprietor of this shop for framing pictures might complain - he is very good at that.
Never in my life have I met a shopkeeper who repels his customer more than he does.
Three times I have been in his shop - and each time I came out without service or a frame, but half-deaf ears and lost time.
While he was grinning in a way that I can only describe as "satisfied, triumphant".
First time: "No, we could not repair that frame. It would cost you too much."
(Honestly: he only had to paint a bit of black shelack on it - I could have done that myself - and might, come to think of it: a few drops of black nail-varnish might solve the problem).
He did not even name a sum and then ask me, if I would be willing or able to pay it!
Second time: "No, we do not mount (is that the word?) cinema-posters anymore - it is so much work!" (Honestly: in my youth I have learned to do it myself - it is a bit of work, but not that much - and: this is a handyman's shop for framing! He owns a press!)
And the third time he said to a little photo-framing-job: "But you have to come till tomorrow - after that we are away for holidays, hahaha!"
AND THEN he started to complain: that the Internet is ruining his shop.
And that people and times are no longer what they once were...
And that all the young people would learn in a horrible way how their internet-fixation will ruin the world, their life, and then they will see and regret - "too late, haha!"!
(At that time I had reached the door and slipped out of this dear olde shoppe).

I might have mentioned before that one of my favourite quotes is:
"Turdus ipse sibi malum cacate" -
"The thrush shits her misfortune herself", loosely translated -
and yes: it sounds more elegant in Latin   :-)
The quote means, that birds eat the sticky white berries of the mistletoe - and then men make birdlime of this shit and catch them.

He does the same, yet blames the shitty Internet!










15 comments:

  1. I have met shopkeepers like that here. I take my business and my money elsewhere to someone who appreciates it. The proverb is a good one. I had to look it up to understand completely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rachel, I take my money now also elsewhere (he was so conveniently around the corner :-)

      Delete
  2. I have never met someone like that but i am sure there are some also here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you are lucky, Yael - but in such form as his I haven't met any one before.

      Delete
  3. I probably found Rachel's reference; I have it now, too. In my vernacular, "What goes around comes around." Great illustration, Britt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne! The Latin is very drastic - but it hits the nail on the head, I think.

      Delete
  4. Dear Brigitta, for the 1st half of the 1970s I supported my family as a picture framer and art restorer. When people came in with frames in need of restoration, I always had an estimate for them and stuck to it. Main problem was with frames finished in gold leaf. I kept 3 shades of it on hand and simply added its cost to whatever else needed repair --usually only the replacement of plaster rosettes and such plus sizing (a gentle glue) upon which a page of gold would be applied. Expensive, yes, but not beyond accurate estimate. Every other repair simply involved identifying the paint or varnish on the original frame --for which an ultraviolet light was essential-- and replacing it with something tinted to the age of the frame. I can't explain your framer's reticence to accept your job --except perhaps an unfortunate mistake in the past or some doubt about his own skills. I will add, that I became a gardener after my work as a craftsperson because my feet hurt from working 16-hour days. Your idea that nail-varnish might work is feasible, but test only a drop first. Nail varnish is often lacquer-based and will cause existing oil-based lacquer to bubble. Good luck and happy research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excuse me, I meant oil-based VARNISH will bubble.

      Delete
    2. Now that is interesting, dear Geo.!
      I knew about the gardener, you, but not about the picture framer!
      The idea of the nail varnish was only a thought - I finally decided that the little frame will remain as it is - the paint took off at the upper frame in a quite becoming way - as the Japanese I will call it "Wabi Sabi" and then it is ok. :-)
      As to gold leaf: that was very generous of you!

      Delete
  5. Really strange. perhaps the picture framing business is only a front?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting idea, Louise! A sleeper?
      Well - he looked like a sleepwalker, but I think not out of political motifs: as Onslow (YOU know!) he seems to me to be "bone-idle"!

      Delete
  6. This is what most shops in Britain were like about 40 years ago. Some were so hostile to customers that they were a joy to visit - like Fawlty Towers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, Tom - grumbling shopkeepers "from the good old days" - you would like Berlin: here they are known for their "Berliner Schnauze" - and many people are repelled - though I like a good long discussion... But with him there was no fun in it!

      Delete
  7. It's a wonder that he survives Britta !!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder too... Jackie, sorry for answering so late: I was away for almost a month. Britta xxx

      Delete