With Courtesy to Mavis Cheek this is now "Mrs Hugel's Country Life" - (Bavarian's Country Life instead of Buzzing through Berlin)

Saturday, 20 June 2026

The Sphinx and I

 


As we all know the Greek Sphinx gave everyone a sheer unsolvable riddle. Not being Oedipus I don't know the answer to this simple question: 

WHY ME? 

I moved from Berlin to Bavaria at the end of November 2025.

At the end of May 2026 I sat on my sofa, quite content because I have "A Room with a View", looking into the green meadows and thought: "THAT was my last move, thank you very much."




I hate to admit that I was awfully wrong. 

"Relative move-in" - what seemed so highly unlikely (older age and family status of the renter's daughter) after 5 years has happened: the daughter of the renter - and I am glad for her! - will get her baby in August! 

And then I decided blazingly fast: only three houses further down in "my" street there was a flat to rent: two storeys with more room, and two big balconies, and an attic (though no cellar)- and, best of all: a new kitchen (my rented one was such a horror), new floors (my rented ones were the work of a mad hatter), and all the rooms newly painted white (my rented ones..)! 

And best of all: landlord & lady are friends of my son, and they are so endearing (my former-still-renters...)

So: why do I moan, you ask? 

It is the act of moving - AGAIN. I chose among three offerers the one that seems best to me - and now, on 20th of July, I will move. 

AGAIN! ADVENTURE I'll call it (better than to moan). One of my favourite books by Irmtraud Morgner, a famous author of the GDR, is called ("Life and Adventures of ..)"

"Leben und Abenteuer der Tobadora Beatriz nach Zeugnissen ihrer Spielfrau Laura "  

   

8 comments:

  1. The good part is that it's not far to go. The bad part is that it's moving. The good part is that you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this comment, dear Boud! It is precise, uplifting and assessing. I love it so much that I will take it - if you allow - and try to make a calligraphy of it for my new home. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Once the sorting, packing and moving are over, the pain does fade. Have a housewarming afternoon tea to mark the new home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Helen, this move will hopefully be easier than the one from Berlin: the most difficult task was to decide what will go with me (from 175 to 75 square meter). Decision making is not my strongest point. Now I will take everything with me (except clipping a few things I do not use, but thought I would).

      Delete
  3. Wishing you a smooth move. For my last (and final) move I began packing early. Walking among packed boxes was satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Joanne, I am so VERY Glad to see you here again!
    Yes, I started packing a few days ago (started with a hotspot - the cellar - - and the only spot I try to "spare" is my living room - I don't want to see removal crates everywhere.. (Well: and the kitchen, come to think of it).
    I am so glad: I donated the 64 boxes to friends of my son and DiL, and now the friends gave them after their removal back to me - ha, that's sustainable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about moving. My family moved a lot when I was growing up. I swore that my children would never have to move. I was mistaken. Wrapping breakables, packing boxes, and being amazed at all you have accumulated is exhausting. Then you move it all and have to unpack, unwrap, and put it away. You'll be happy when you are settled in your new home but getting there... whew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mimmylynn, it is hard when a child has to move. In my youth it was only once - after half a year at school, where I adored the teacher very much, we had to move to a big city - it took me more than half a year to adapt. But I had a wonderful teacher then - I still love her - with many ideas. She started every morning playing her guitar and sang with us.
      We spared our son moving: till he went away to study we stayed in our house in Hildesheim. Bliss!
      Accumulating: YES! Even though I have parted in Berlin from 2/3 of my things, here I still find "too much" - e.g. too many glasses!
      And books seem to have puppy-books over night :-)
      I decided to inspect the local library , and the big one in Fürth, and - if I want to own it: buy an e-book. Sometimes, as I prefer paper.

      Delete