With Courtesy to Mavis Cheek this is now "Mrs Hugel's Country Life" - (Bavarian's Country Life instead of Buzzing through Berlin)

Saturday, 6 June 2026

The Beautiful University City Erlangen

 


Today I visited Erlangen by train.

The strange photo above shows a reflection in a shopwindow:  Erlangen, a venerable old university city, at the moment presents the "International Comic Salon" - the biggest German Comic Festival with more than 25.000 visitors, exhibitions and readings - and many young people dressed up as Anima or Manga figures.  

Erlangen and ILong time no see - too much moving house, too many (wonderful) family news - thus I had almost forgotten how vivid this city is. Soon I will give you a deeper impression with historical and architectural details - Erlangen in the Free State of Bavaria was first mentioned anno 1002 - but today I only went to the famous "Trempelmarkt" - a flea market, where I bought some books and two pictures (done in the Forties). 

Snowdrops and daisies - the third, lily of the valley was "snatched" right before my eyes. 😊



Both are beautifully framed, but I cannot manage to give you a better picture or turn it into the right position, sorry.
They are drawings by Elsa Beskow, a Swedish illustrator of children books (1874 - 1953) - my paintings are a bit faded in colours. 

After that I discovered a beautiful tea shop where you could sit outside in the welcome shade of a backyard, with many English roses



I am so happy that now I discovered a city of beauty, youth and luxury! Only one hour away with the train! 

 





4 comments:

  1. What you showed is lovely. I tilted my head to look at the picture because it intrigued me with its simple beauty. I also tried to move it so I could get a better view. It didn't work for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mimmylynn, thank you for your comment! So we both weren't able to move the picture around - sometimes computers are difficult to handle, for me at least.
    I do love paintings of flowers and plants - some are so exact, even though they are shown at the side of fairies, that one plant app can label them rightly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wie herrlich, liebe Britta, so ein hübscher Städtl Tag ist doch einfach unschlagbar. Ich brauche das auch ab und ein, und bisschen Kunst und Genuß ist dabei ein Muß. Elsa Beskow hat mich vor Jahren für mein Enkelkind Fausthandschuhe inspiriert, die das Muster der Kappen der Kinder aus den Illustrationen von Children of the Forest nachgeahmt haben und natürlich das illustrierte Buch als Geschenk dazu. Wir fahren diese Woche nach Zwickau zur Ausstellung "Perlmutt 2" von Rosa Loy und Neo Rauch... Ich bin mir absolut sicher, die Werke von Rosa Loy würden dich beglücken.
    Liebe Grüße sendet dir Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liebe Viola, danke für deinen lieben Kommentar und entschuldige meine Verspätung hier. Die Fausthandschuhe würde ich gern mal sehen - hast du sie in einem Post vorgestellt?
      Du hast so viel Phantasie und Energie und Schöpferkraft, das gefällt mir sehr!!
      Die Ausstellung würde mich sehr interessieren, aber 2 große Ereignisse - bald werde ich zum 4. Mal Großmutter, und ich muss leider nochmal umziehen, uff - bestimmen im Moment meinen Zeitplan - ich denke im Moment nur noch in Zeitfenstern in der Nähe...
      Liebe Grüße, Britta

      Delete