Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Wednesday 15 February 2023

Snippet: The 2-Minute- Rule

 




I love helpful tips that enlighten my life. Or to express it one size smaller: bring a sort of "aha"-moment. Tips that are easy to follow - and work. 

For me "The 2-minute-rule" really does that. (Of course I sometimes forget it). 

It just says: "If a thing you have to do will take no more than two minutes - do it now!"

Interesting how much one can do in two minutes! Interesting that one's brain is so much lighter if one follows that rule! Just thinking about what you still have to do consumes so much energy - and takes much longer than two minutes. 

Seldom two minutes are not available to put the cleaner back into its place (looks so much more orderly), rinse out the used pan immediately (nice if it doesn't greet you first thing in the morning) or soak your oats in the evening for your morning porridge. 

"A stitch in time saves nine" as my Grandma used to say. 



  

17 comments:

  1. I agree with the Two Minute Rule, but for a slightly different reason. Even though in older age great ideas and tasks pop into my mind at the same rate as they always did, nowadays they pop out of my mind just as quickly. Only if I act quickly is the task actually done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Helen, you express exactly as I feel: one forgets easier. That is a reason why I write To-Do-lists (for bigger tasks) - they also motivate me to not forget things I want to do (e.g. I do not like to iron - oddly that point goes further and further down on my list! :-)

      Delete
  2. The two minute rule works perfectly for me. I can walk the apartment in two minutes, handle anything I encounter. Before I reach the front door, I forget why I set out, and can return with a clear conscience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, in Bavaria I habe half of the space as in Berlin - and yes: the two-minute-rule works even better there! Reaching my front door I often attest myself that I seem to have the attention span of a fly. (Especially for things that have to do with the computer...)

      Delete
  3. I like the 2 minute rule as well. I also like: "Why wait for tomorrow if it can be done today?" Friends/family members that procrastinate drive me nuts. People that procrastinate define me pushy and sometimes driven. That said, I do get things done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan, "Why wait for tomorrow" is a good question - and often I add to that: "If I do not do it now, nobody will have done it for tomorrow" - appealing to reason.
      I get things done too - and yes: some people might find that a bit stressing :-)

      Delete
  4. I am going to adopt the two minute rule, it makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good advice, but I am a good procrastinator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sentence of my late friend&whatsoever Stephen Russell aka Barefoot Doctor here pops to my mind: "As long as you enjoy it" he would say :-)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I believe you, Rachel - looking at the vast exciting programs you cope with every week.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yes, I like it too, dear Emma. To nor forget it I put an adhesive note every 4 weeks into my diary.

      Delete
  8. I perhaps procrastinate a little more these days, and my short term memory is getting worse - it seems to be hanging on since COVID when we had so much time at home and did often "put off today what could be done tomorrow" ~~~~~~ or the next day, or the next ~~~~~~~!!!!!!!
    I love 'tidyness' around the house though so am always good about that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mary, yes, Covid time might have made us "more mild". At the moment I am in Berlin, wonderful, but I can only write on my cell phone. But I can read your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete