Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Monday 7 March 2022

Why I chose the - UKULELE



WOW - you've got it! 
And why did I choose the ukulele? 

1. With all the bad news of the last two years and the very bad news now, I needed something lighthearted, funny, a little bit of Marylin's pep against all this dark seriousness of the world. 

2. The best remedy against rumination I know is to move and/or do something where I have to concentrate. 

3. The grip on a guitar was physically too complicated for my small hands - the ukulele has only four strings, as Rachel remarked. I am not trying to enter the stage, I want quick results. The triplets too (though all family here in Bavaria does not know what I bought. Being me I practise secretly before I "perform"). 

4. This wooden ukulele looks so sweet and beautiful - it is shiny and lacquered in emerald green with mother-of-pearl inlaid work. More radiant and glowing than on the photos. 

5. I hope it trains brain and fingers, and know that it does not overawe my professional musical bunch of friends on the narrow boat trips. Or anyone else :-)   

6. I love to follow instant inspirations - this was one.  

7. And I love challenges. This might be one. 



 






2 comments:

  1. Good for you. I've read the instrument is easy to learn. I learned how to play a dulcimer; this can't be much more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look "dulcimer" up, Joanne - and when I heard it on youtube I liked it. The sound resembled a bit the banjo? I like that it lies in front of you, so one can see what one does :-)

    ReplyDelete