Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Wednesday 11 March 2020

Panic is knocking at our doors



Today I was a bit shocked.
Not about our empty streets in Berlin, the empty stores or the empty tube (nice, even as an older person you get a seat without having to fight about it with a 14 year old...).

Outside you see: old people, men with dogs and parents (one) with a pram.

I came back - feeling like a "Hero for just one of Day,"  - yep, I still walk out in the sunshine, think that it will give my immune system a boost, as my humour  will - though that is on the downward scale by now:
I saw a neighbour from above standing in front of our house. Two days ago he had asked me whether I would translate a letter for him from Netherland to German - yes: I am able to do that now! - and of course I said that I will do that, for free.
Now he told me that it is not longer necessary: their vacation in Mailand is canceled, and their money will be refunded. (Why the letter is in Netherlands I do not know).
Fine.

Then we went inside, to our little elevator.
He said - and hurried two steps up - : "We should keep distance. I go up first!"
Jumped in and I stared at the closed door, and the elevator. Moving up.

I, I, I, - or: Me, Me, Me .

I don't expect - even not from an elderly academic as him - courtesy any more. Women want to be equal - in all aspects - So what?!

But no - not true: I expect it still.
Especially from an elderly neighbour whom I granted a favour.

So I mused a bit about how PEOPLE might act if life becomes even more  dangerous than now.
Mused about my flight to Amsterdam on Saturday, (a big birthday), and a visitor coming by train tomorrow. (He is young, I am not).

Then I thought: "What the heck!" - I don't want to sit in isolation (a little voice in my head squeaked: "You might sit there earlier than you think!" and I said: "Shut up!")

I hope it will.

As I opened my bag to get out my keys a very shiny copper cent fell out. A promise for good luck.

I might need it.




8 comments:

  1. I think that we are feeling both bemused and may be a little vulnerable at this moment in time - but keeping a level head tells me that the percentage of people that have died or caught the virus is still in the thousands - which is very low compared with a world population heading towards 8 billion.
    Enjoy your trip - we have just enjoyed ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary, your comment encourages me, thank you! I think also that the danger is not that high - and I am fit . I am glad to hear that you had a lovely trip!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful day here Britta and no mention of virus. I attended my philosophy class this afternoon and we discussed Wittgenstein and use of language and the unicorn and I felt uplifted on the way home because I like the mystery of the unicorn. The unicorn is going to be like your lucky copper cent for me tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rachel, we had a sunny day too - and I enjoyed it - and my balcony is full of spring flowers, so beautiful!
      I do not listen to many news or tv - I read a good sunday paper and that is it - but a friend sends me a lot of bad-news-corona-articles and that casts me a bit down...

      Wow - Wittgenstein - great! About unicorns I have to think a while - they symbolize for me one thing. Lovely.

      Delete
  3. He could courteously have asked you not to look at him. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recommend wearing a rubber glove before punching discourteous men in the nose, but also commend your polite restraint. All best wishes for health and happiness to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Geo., a good advice, thank you!
    I wish you and Norma health and happiness too - in these day we feel even more how precious it is to have a good friend!

    ReplyDelete