Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Sunday 21 October 2018

Enjoy What Is



At breakfast I sit near the balcony, door open, the cool air of autumn comes in (and yes: since a few days I have added the rose-coloured dancer-Warm-up stockings, that have exactly the color of the rose in the photo above, to my dressing gown ).
The rose is "New Dawn", she accompanied me from Hamburg to Berlin, and never complained that here in the Big City she has to live in a huge pot instead of crumbly rich garden earth.
(Maybe you cannot even call it "a life" - but: she exists).
She is a fighter, a tough little person - able to look after herself (with "A  little help from her friends"), so by no means unprotected.
And this morning at almost the end of October I discover a new blossom - porcelain rose-coloured as always.
Wonderful smell, light shining through.
I think that this is how it should be:
Be tough, but also gentle, accept where you are (I am not talking about me - I WANTED to go to Berlin!) -  and let the light shine through, do not harden your heart.
Yes - I also see the little brown spots at the outer petals - but which life is without bruises? I see much more beauty, and willpower - signs of life, signs of braveness, signs of triumph over circumstances.

                                                     It's  LIFE we're talking about! 


10 comments:

  1. Yes indeed Britta. Stay strong and positive at all times how ever difficult it may be, push on and through it and come out the other side into the sunshine. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rachel. And I think that is the best way to enjoy what we have. xx

      Delete
  2. I don't know why, but I haven't smelled a rose for years. Nobody I know grows them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How come? When I am at the seaside, I rush to smell the special apothecary's rose (rosa gallica), and in my garden in Hildesheim I had about 16 different French roses on stems. (the landscape gardener who rented the downstairs flat when we left for Hamburg managed to kill them all!)
      They had a wonderful smell - but I think that nowadays people go for roses without scent, with bigger blossoms - they flower more often - but honestly: a rose without scent??

      Delete
  3. Your lovely rose is a good metaphor for life. She is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma - I also think that she is pretty!

      Delete
  4. She survived because of the attention you give her, Even strong roses need some love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, Yael, is very true :-) Attention and love are wonderful effective fertilizers!

      Delete
  5. “One of the basic rules of the universe is that nothing is perfect. Perfection simply doesn't exist.....Without imperfection, neither you nor I would exist”
    ― Stephen Hawking

    ReplyDelete
  6. WoW, Rosemary: I will copy the quote into my notebook (then I am sure to find it when I need it). Love it, thank you!

    ReplyDelete