Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Saturday 1 June 2013

"Puttin' on the Ritz" - or whatever you want




I always marvel when I catch that very special moment when something  is coming into reality, that weeks before was only an idea rushing through my head. There I started to think about it, planned, worried, stopped worrying (humming "What you focus on grows") - and then: a snap of the finger, and - whizz - I am actually here, standing on Trafalgar Square, or meeting my Facebook-friend Louise from Dover, or take a picture (precisely: 281 pictures) of the Chelsea Flower Show.
Now I am in London; having managed to bring my suitcase the long way through the tube, stopped worrying if someone will not be disillusioned by meeting me, and - wiser by being no spring chicken any more - I look left AND right when I cross the road, because I finally accept I will never learn that. 
I am here - in REALITY, not in dreamland! 
Above you (hopefully) see a dance from Top Hats - a musical I saw today - though it never crossed my mind that I ever would (normally I'm not much into musicals). Only a few days before, when Anne and I hastened through ice cold rain to Lincoln's Inn, she remarked: "Look - the Waldorf! And there - such a row of theatres with musicals!" 
And today I was sitting - well, not in the Waldorf - but in the musical Top Hats, because my lovely landlady invited me to a wonderful oldfashioned theatre with plushy seats, and a musical that gave us absolutely good spirits with its dishy tap dancers!  

Britta Huegel

This photo is not - as you might think - part of the musical, but a wall and the backside of seats in a restaurant were we (and sometimes 'Boris', as rumour has it) were dining before the musical.




5 comments:

  1. I'm with Tom. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Britta... Isn't it wonderful when you step into a day and your reality turned out even better than you imagined! Thanks for the bit of Fred and company puttin' on the Ritz! I spent my youth watching lovely black/white movies of Fred/Ginger, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, et al... all those wonderful actors from the golden era of Hollywood! Enjoy your holiday... may all your days exceed your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I am happy to say that till now everything worked out utterly well. I'm really grateful!

      Delete