Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Saturday 5 January 2013

My new Kindle



So now I have a Kindle. 

"Once you've used it for a couple of weeks, I'd *love* to read about your experience with the Kindle. You're such a sensual / careful customer-that-surrounds-herself-with-tasteful-things... Let us know if you enjoy ebooks - or if too much is lost." 

This was written by a Facebook friend, a young promising author, who is the most avid reader I know, (and of course I utterly savoured that beautiful compliment).   
It is not my first try with a Kindle, I love new technical gimmicks - coming from a family where my parents were the first in the street who had a telephone, a TV set, (neighbours visited for football in black-and-white), they had a washing machine ("Idleness!" the other good housewives cried), owned that first VW-Beetle with the split rear window and a blinker that was a little orange finger that came out on the side of the car when you wanted to turn right or left. I could write on and on (my parents had very little money, my mother, being of lower nobility, had married a man untitled and without money - but they had brains and spunk and knew how to save and then spend that in a good way, and they were open-minded - the first in our street to give their girls a higher education instead of a dowry. "Academic highschool? Then university? For a girl??" the neighbours asked increduously, and added "Such a waste!"). 
But I wanted to tell you of my Kindle. The very first one that Amazon offered, some time ago, I sent back - it looked shabby, felt bad in my hand and had a stubborn way to decide instead of me - breaking up chapters, scripture etc. 
Son advised me (of course I was opting for a Kindle Fire) to take the simplest version, not even that with "Inner light" (I have that myself - no: I don't like to stare into strong light). I communicated with Amazon before the purchase: it is not possible for a German Kindle-owner to buy e-books on amazon.co.uk. Oh... But there is - Husband told me - the Project Gutenberg - and here I get all my English treasures for free: Robinson Crusoe and Pamela and Tristram Shandy and Elizabeth's German Garden and, and, and (interesting though that I do not get Winnie-The-Pooh). 
I like my Kindle
- it is really a lightweight - and abstaining from buying a leather wrapper (though I liked the pink - but it would have added 127 gram) and taking a beautiful silk book wrapper I already owned instead (30 gram) it is well protected
- I had no difficulties in getting it going and to use it (I hate manuals - and I didn't need one - though I discovered a book - for free - that wants to give me 88 tips to use the Kindle's full potential). 
- Another friend on Facebook, a young promising poet, posted that Amazon gave you each day a book for free on seven days in January. Ha, I used it. So they hooked me. And I found at least a lot of modern English books here too. And am very proud that I found out all by myself how to download the Gutenberg Project. 
- I took it with me on the flight to Munich. And - though writing a blog - I enjoy my privacy: I don't like people to know what I read.  
- I read more. Definitely. I now have downloaded 41 books - and I am a quick reader. 
- I LOVE the possibility to change the scripture, or enlarge it when my eyes are tired from computer working in the evening (some pocket books like my tomes of Trollope have really tiny letters). 
- I can get rid of some books (people in our house are very quick at picking up used books we all put into the entrance hall) that I know I will only read once ('How To'-literature, or some silly books that earned their money by making me laugh out loud) and so I will gain open place in my bookshelves, because:  
- a Kindle is not rival for beautiful books, children's books,  illustrated books, or books with beautiful photos 
- and strange: I become even more attached to those books in paper that I really love - I won't give them up! 

15 comments:

  1. 'Lower nobility'? Von Hipper? Von Bismark?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tom,
    you'd like to know, wouldn't you? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - that's why I asked. I have met members of both of those families - maybe I met your mum!

      Delete
    2. I delivered a kitchen sink to Augustine von Hipper in Bavaria once - true!

      Delete
    3. Now that is curious. We are not related to the von Hipper, but that German cruiser Admiral lived - a long time ago - in Hamburg-Othmarschen. The family of my mother comes from a little town near Hamburg. My father (freshening up the old blue blood :-) was a marine, but of course WWII - and, after stranding in Madagascar, became POW in England, and was treated well there (different from the French that got them at first). He comes from Goettingen (von Bismarck!) - but no, no connections to them either. As I wrote: only lower gentry. But stern on marriage.

      Delete
  3. My mother was an avid reader. Unfortunately that characteristic has skipped a generation and my daughter also loves reading. She speaks of having a room full of books in her house and I must discuss Kindles with her. She is very much of the modern technological generation but I don't think she has thought about a kindle?
    Being able to make the text larger would be great! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Penny,
      that's a great idea! If she has to wait for the bus - or a class hour is cancelled: she has her kindle and can read what she likes, according to her mood. (I often took a book on a journey - and then thought: ah, not right at the moment. But to take two books means carrying a lot).

      Delete
  4. I was given a Kobo for Christmas a year ago and have yet to use it. It just seemed to complicated - when I wish to read I just want to sit and have the immediate pleasure. I can see that the Kobo will be useful on planes and I should really get over my aversion and take it with me on my travels. I have a very long trip planned for this year, and the Kobo would let me travel just a little lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Pondside,
    just try - it is not a substitute for a real book - but on its own it is great/ and light. I would appreciate it if all those things had the same charging device - nowadays one carries more cords and plugs in the suitcase than anything else :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear Britta, this post is full of interesting and stimulating nuggets. First, your family history -- and the bright, hot core of your parents' intelligence that sparks through. I can see from whence you come.

    Second, this:
    'it looked shabby, felt bad in my hand and had a stubborn way to decide instead of me'

    Ha! That is all I will say for now. 'Ha!'

    I like, very much, that the pink swayed your appreciation -- I agree with your Facebook friend, you are most certainly both sensual and careful in your selections.

    I also find it of interest that you keep books in the hall as a co-op and that messing about with a Kindle has not diminished but rather deepened your appreciation for the books which remain, revered, on your shelves.

    Also, a bit late, but Happy Birthday and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Suze,
      so good to have you back again - fresh as a daisy and charming and joyful as ever! And of course I like the "Ha!" Those books that are not taken in the hall (as it happened to 'New Grub Street', cannot imagine why nobody was hot on George Gissing :-) , I bring to the Oxfam shop. As we have many English people in Berlin, it might find an admirer. Thank you for your good wishes!

      Delete
  7. If it helps you read more then this is a good thing. I have no experience of Kindle however a friend of mine travels to India a great deal with his work and he takes a Kindle. As you so rightly say, it is lightweight and stores plenty for him to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Tony,
    and it has another advantage, too: yesterday I needed an English book for my work pronto - and it took just a minute to get it. That was really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting to read your review, we were just chatting with neighbors about owning a Kindle. I like the feel of a book in my hands (when I read in bed I know it is time to go to sleep when the book hits my face) :-) I do think when traveling it would be great to have many books in one small device.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Janet,
    I am really content with my decision. I like the feeling of turning a page too - but as life doesn't mean: "Either-Or" (in this case) you can have the cake and eat it.

    ReplyDelete