Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Tuesday 13 February 2018

Use Your Eyes!

©Brigitta Huegel


Berlin has a lot of cinemas - and I am so happy: I have a subscription that allowes me to visit all 12 Yorck Kinos (the photo you see above is one of the smaller 6 cinema halls of the newly built delphilux - smaller hall used to show films in the original English version) -  and a whole year long I can watch every film as often as I want.
(Come to think of it: I could almost give up my appartment... and the seats are very comfortable  :-)
I counted: this week just the Yorck cinemas offer 98 films - though of course in some cinemas they show the same films. (And if you find nothing that might please you: there are so many, many other cinemas in Berlin).
On Sunday, when I was in dire need of a pause, I watched "The Dark Hour" about Winston Churchill.
I was very moved - and learned more by watching than I had learned at school.
Although I read at the moment further "The Churchill Factor. How One Man Made History" by Boris Johnson, it was the fim that reached my heart.
Which was, of course, their intention.
 Well done!




10 comments:

  1. I love going to movies. Sitting in a darkened theater with sound all around a that big screen that pulls me into the movie... heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Emma: the atsmosphere is very special - so different from sitting in front of a TV, even a big one.

      Delete
  2. We have big cinemas halls here, usually near malls, and two big ones in the city, but the best I like to go to (haven't been to a cinema in a long time though) are the two cinemas we have in our neighbourhood; cosy and familiar and where I can meet people I know.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can enjoy cinemas soon again! I am with you, Maria, in prefering the small ones: I love our "Cinema Paris", very near, a little bit old-fashioned. The very new ones as the Sony-Center, where oh so many people are in one hall (and the loudspeakers blaring your ears off!) are not what I like. Greetings, Britta xx

      Delete
  3. I have seen the Churchill film. Gary Oldfield was magnificent. I wrote about seeing it at the time, in early January, but that blog has now gone. I found it quite emotional at times. I spend a lot of time at cinemas now. I don't know what I would do without them. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it too, Rachel! It is sad that I cannot read your blogpost now - it shows what I have missed in that learning-occupied time...
      For me the most moving scene was when all the little private boats came over the sea, the white cliffs in their back, to rescue the soldiers who faced almost certain death. I am a tough person - but here I shed a tear or two.

      Delete
  4. Dear Brigitta, Somehow, this was the perfect post for me to read today. I haven't been to the theater in ever so long, too long a time. Thanks for taking me along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Geo., you are oh so welcome, as ever! I discovered cinemas here in Berlin again - so many possibilities - and I go there especially when I want 'to step out of myself' -into another world.. And: images go straight to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of cinemas in Vienna too. There's one I go to that does breakfast-and-films on Sunday mornings. As you say, you spend your life going from one to the next. Or at least most of the day. People are sheltering from the cold in cinema bars and foyers and I've also seen a man sleeping also in a bank. It was one of those banks that have no staff most of the time but only machines. I presume he just followed a customer through the semi-automatic doors and settled into of the chairs. Nobody coming in and out to use the machines seemed to bother about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breakfast & films sounds nice, Gwil!
      The temperature we have now here in the Netherlands is about 'felt' 12 degrees under zero) - so it is a very good idea to stay inside a cinema for a homeless person (in Berlin they open the metro-stations).
      By the way: Did you see "Wilde Maus" with and by Josef Hader? I like it immensely - and am on the look-out for his new movie "Arthur & Claire", which was made in Amsterdam.

      Delete