Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Sunday 2 September 2018

Do less, get more



Yesterday I went to Dussmann in Friedrichstraße - oh no: not a simple bookshop! - it calls itself a "Kulturkaufhaus" - a shop to buy culture, mmmh, mmm, mmh - would be a nice thing for some people in Germany...
It has a special section, the "English Bookshop" - and that most often gives me ideas, and I seldom leave with only one book.
(Nowadays - even if you buy for more than 20 Euros - they give you the book you paid for over the counter, just like that.
Then I put on what I call my Freiherr von Knigge-glance -- very haughty, very severe - and ask: "Will you PLEASE put it into a little paper bag, dear?"
(I had to ask at Peek&Cloppenburg too, where I bought an Armani-dress for summer: they put the dress into my hand and thought that I would walk away with it, just like that!
And if you do not pay attention, they forget to give you the receipt too - I mean: with all the security guards and detectives around: how will you prove you really paid for it??
The book above is a reminder:
spend more time on things you love - and not on chores you think you have to do.

And that reminded me that I love blog-writing (even if I have - as everybody else - little time) - and that I should just try to keep it simple, not being a perfectionist about photos e.g.

So I will give my blog-writing what they call it in modern relationship-babble:

                           "QUALITY-TIME" 



10 comments:

  1. The thing is that you have many things you love. It will be hard to give them all their proper attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, Emma! But I can give less to those things I do not love that much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Distractions are wonderful, Joanne - I let them happen, and am against too over-planned personal time-tables!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fault is that I sometimes give those things too much attention at the expense of more pressing, lesser issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I (most times) do not see that as a fault - in the end we are glad about things we dared to do (and not about creaseless striking a t-shirt :-)

      Delete
  5. Nowadays one has to pay for the bag, regardless of the purchase value. So, they don't always feel at ease asking for the pennies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Berlin it depends, DUTA: stores like Uniqlo or the KaDeWe gives you big paperbags, and I think that a store which just sold a dress for a lot of money cannot expect that I bring it back to my home in the same bag (that I always have with me - I try what I can to avoid plastic, and that for many, many years) in which I transport fish and cheese and potatoes. I see it as a thoughtful and polite gesture by them - of course I have the pennies - but they just got the Pounds!

      Delete
  6. There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval. Santayana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I flit from one thing to another without problem.

    ReplyDelete