Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Wednesday 16 December 2015

Please, Mr. Postman!

©Brigitta Huegel

Dear You, 
Actually I wanted to write a post about "comments".
Now I'm sitting here, caught in a luxurious prison - our flat - and wait for the postman. Will he ever come?
"With the post you never know", said "my" postman wistfully. Strange to hear it out of the mouth of some official - it is true that we had oh so many thefts from parcels and small packages the last years (at least three items I sent were stolen till finally, finally I followed son's advice to ALWAYS send a package (costly) insured).
Our postman is utterly reliable - he is a wonderful young Turk who really loves his job, (and even greets me from his yellow van - by name! - when he sees me in another street in Berlin). They have given him a new route now, sometimes here, sometimes there, sometimes not -  and thus made his job less secure and his smile a bit more worried. I wonder what the Post is thinking of!
Why am I waiting? New job from nine-to-five? Nay - Amzon informed me that my iRobot will arrive today - and that is heavy, I suspect, and if I am not at home and have to go to the post-office to get it, I won't have to go to the gymn today.
Yes, you read right: I ordered a robot to vacuum dear home. I am very curious if that will work (and you know my infatuation with technical gimmicks) - I see me Sitting On My Sofa, feets up, laptop on my knees - hammering a post on "comments" into the keys, while "IT" purrs and currs all around.



PS: Maybe in four hours I will change the song to: "Set Me Free" (I love the Kinks!)


12 comments:

  1. You will love your new robot. I have had my Roomba for more than a year. It is so nice to wake up to a nice neat floor. I do haul out the regular vacuum every couple of months to do a deeper clean but that is because of the dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope so, Emma! I have so much parquet that I thought it might be a good idea - we'll see. I'm glad to hear that you are content with yours. We don't have a dog, but Berlin has a lot of fine dust, too much PM, in the air.

      Delete
  2. I look forward to the post on comments. The sooner the robot arrives the better and then I won't have to wait too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roboter has arrived! (15:35 pm) - now I'll need a few days too read - and understand - the manual :-)

      Delete
  3. I don't envy you with your robot. I have a nice lady, a real human being, comes in every so often and does for me.

    Putzfrau is a terrible word and I'd never use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't envy myself - I do the complete household on my own, and we have a very big flat... So I welcome a Heinzelmännchen.

      Delete
    2. Heinzie for short. Maybe he answers to that. You can try it.

      Delete
  4. Oh crikey, Britta, i am happy for you but is my dear, dear Dyson no longer à la mode?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Dyson is always à la mode, and never out of fashion. It was just that I tried to clear up an important question in housekeeping (and you know: even "Men's Health" is asking me now and then): I found a golden middle course for the burning question: "Vacuum first, then dusting - or the other way round?" Hark: I now do both at a single blow!

      Delete
  5. Britta ..... you are SO up there with modern technology ..... let us know how you get on with your robot, won't you { I'm pleased that he arrived safe and sound !! }
    ...... and, the Kinks were our patients when I was at work !! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, you know: I try (which doesn't always mean: it works out). Amazon sends the things insured, so they cannot vanish. And I'm utterly impressed by you knowing the Kinks so well, personally - I only saw them in a concert in Mannheim (long time ago), and then only one of them - he played solo in Hamburg, about 7 years ago. XXX

      Delete