Britta's Letters from her life divided between city-life in German's capital Berlin and life in a Bavarian village

Tuesday 4 June 2013

A Day Like Milk And Honey - Visiting BATH

Britta Huegel
Royal Crescent

the river Avon


I was so lucky! The most beautiful weather made the honey coloured stones of Bath soft and welcoming. I saw so many gorgeous sights (and could take photographs for my working project too), that Picasa on Google will throw me out again if I post all the photos I like. So I have to choose, which isn't easy, as even the dinner in a quite normal restaurant was an architectural event:


And all the time I felt a bit like a figure in a novel of Jane Austen: like sitting in a georgeous ballroom and waiting who would appear - because, as you might know, I was to meet my fellow blogger, Tom Stephenson, for the first time and in person. 

Britta Huegel
The Assembly Rooms

When I read the blog of another person I get an impression, form a picture in my mind, and have a distinct vision how he or she will be. I'm so happy that I can assure you that I was right - a wonderful, witty and handsome man he is, and before you recommend me to plunge into the famous Roman Baths

Britta Huegel
 Roman Baths
 or even start to pray for my soul





Britta Huegel
Bath Abbey


 we were four: Tom, his lovely wife H.I. and  her daughter. We all talked so lively, that I managed just in time (running like a hare) to catch the train back to London.
Thank you all for a really lovely day!

Britta Huegel

 We'll meet again - in Bath or Berlin - and with Husband.





17 comments:

  1. With a review of our meeting like that, you must come back again soon! I always learn something about this town from visitors - I never realised how many fictional murders took place here. All I know about are the real ones, from around 1700 to the present day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "This is Bath, the Floral City. Nobody can spare the time to commit murder", said the wife of Peter Diamond (Peter Lovesey's detective) - but all the crime novelists show she's wrong. In Manvers Street near the Station first thing I saw was the 'real' police - I took a few photos and they looked at me with suspicion. I still have to visit T''he Vault' in Walcot Street and find the bakery of Inspector James Leonard in Broad Street. See - a lot to find out stll!

      Delete
  2. 'I was to meet my fellow blogger, Tom Stephenson, for the first time and in person.'

    I am jealous of Tom!

    And, Britta, I can quite picture you cutting an Austenesque figure in such wonderfully-dignified surroundings. So lovely to read of your adventures -- and to see these great images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Suze,
      thank you! You would have fitted so well in our meeting, I am quite sure of that! And remember: we both have a plan too: going by train through some parts of Germany.

      Delete
  3. Bath is looking beautiful. How lovely to have a blogger meet up! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Penny,
      yes, it is a city you can love easily. It has such a beautiful calm atmosphere (in spite of the many tourists like me).

      Delete
  4. Ah, Bath, how I would love to go back there! It was a long time ago, but I still remember the color of that stone. I am so glad the weather was fine for you. Your photos are lovely, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue,
      Thank you! I can imagine that you love this city - the honey colour is still in one's eye and imagination when one thinks of it.

      Delete
  5. Bath seems to be very nice.
    I love all pictures, especially the one where you are in the mirror! And I love the weather I can see, nice in England the summer is strange.
    Have a great stay.
    Bisou, Babi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Babi,
      if you visit England, I would really recommend a visit to Bath! The mirror is lovely - and on visits one has so few photos of oneself.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful images of Bath Brigitta ....... it is such a lovely city and I'm so pleased tht you enjoyed it { and, of course, meeting up with Tom & family } Hope that you enjoyed London as much and many thanks for your lovely comment over at mine. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jacqueline,
      thank you! Yes - in London I enjoy every single minute - my head (and feet) is brimming - so much to see! My Landlady always asks me for my newest excursions and discoveries.

      Delete
  7. Britta.. Imagine all those lovely books I have read where the heroine and her companions had to retire to Bath for some restorative therapy due to some English scoundrel...and I had never seen photographs of its loveliness ! No wonder they had to holiday in Bath... I would definitely find those surroundings very rejuvenating...You were so kind to share your adventure including your blogger friend and family. What a treat! Safe travels... Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Susan,
    I love those books! And share your view that it is a lovely city for finding to oneself again. Surprising for me was the many detective novels (e.g. Peter Loevesay) that are settled in Bath too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many thanks for this lovely post, Britta! Ah, Bath! Such a beautiful and elegant city! All your photos are really nice. I can't understand why Anne Elliot doesn't like the place. Did you drink some hot spring water there? I'm particularly interested in the Roman baths. They look so wonderful! Bathing in those thermal waters....ah...must have been great! I'm sure you liked it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sapphire,
      thank you! I don't understand Anne Elliot either - maybe there are too many tourists? No, I didn't drink the water (I have still its taste from Karlsbad in my mouth, many years ago) - but bathing in the thermal water: that I would have liked!

      Delete